Ability to set DNS servers from portal

The ZT portal currently lets us set IPs / Subnets for clients. Could you enable us to set DNS servers here too? We can set DNS manually on the device interface options, but those settings are lost (Windows) when you disconnect and reconnect the interface.

Thanks!

We actually do have that coming here soon. It’s search domain based at first. For example, if your local domain is mynetwork.local, you can set anything at mynetwork.local to be looked up at a specific nameserver.

It’s not quite ready yet, but will be soon. It’ll be Windows and macOS only to being with.

2 Likes

Awesome! To be honest, that’s primarily what we would want anyway. It will be nice to point everything through our internal DNS servers at some point, but just the ability to look up our AD servers will be great.

If you need any testers, let me know :slight_smile:

It’s Windows and macOS only at first. Linux is a whole different beast when it comes to that. We should have something for you in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

This is great! Right now I run unbound on a VPS, and have it set as my systemwide DNS. When the upcoming ability to tell ZeroTier which DNS to use for queries within the managed subnet, I will not longer need to have it systemwide. Can’t wait!

I see this was mentioned in the 1.6beta release notes, but I simply can’t find any information about configuration to test it.

https://www.zerotier.com/2020/10/09/zerotier-1-6-0-beta1-released/ has more info
It’s hidden by default for now.
Append ?dns=1 to the url

Thanks, I just found that and was coming back here to point out a slight error in the other notes there… It says that you enable it on the client by using this:

zerotier-cli set allowDNS <true|false>

But it appears you have to have an equal sign in there…

zerotier-cli set allowDNS=<true|false>

That set the value for me here, and so far in early testing it seems to work quite well!

Is it possible to use “.” as the search domain so as to include all DNS queries? ZeroTier Central doesn’t seem to want to let me do it, saying “Please match the requested format.” It would be nice to at least have the option to specify multiple search domains if not an all inclusive one.

No it is not. Records must be tied to a search domain