Can't connect to OpenVPN when joined to ZeroTier One network on Windows 10

Sorry for the sparse info here. I am not entirely sure what is useful to post. But what happened was basically this:

1. I updated OpenVPN to 3.2.2
  2. I suddenly couldn’t connect to my OpenVPN server anymore
  3. I did a bunch of troubleshooting
  4. I found two workarounds: 1) disconnect from my ZeroTier One network and 2) downgrade OpenVPN

I’m currently using the second one. I doubt this is really a ZeroTier One issue per se, but I’m not really sure what to ask them. The release notes (https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resources/openvpn-connect-for-windows-change-log/) say:

• Minor changes for Web Auth flow
  • Added reporting UV_APP_VER values to the VPN server
  • Implemented a new way of profile bundling (distribution of MSI and profile as separate files)
  • Fixed an issue where an OpenVPN server could not be reached if it was not reachable through the default gateway
  • Fixed an issue where a large amount of routes pushed to the VPN client would cause the client to fail
  • Fixed issues with the display of the application version

I’m assuming the default-gateway tweak they made somehow is the culprit, since my OpenVPN server is reachable both through ZeroTier One and through a domain name on the Internet (Dynamic DNS). What I notice is that I can’t ping the server when using the 3.2.2 version of OpenVPN, suggesting some arcane routing issue. I am not knowledgeable enough to figure that out.

It does seem like I ought to just contact OpenVPN first, though?

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.