Error binding control plane?

Hi all, I’ve been using zerotier for a while. I have one raspberry pi that is having an odd network issue.

zerotier-one installs fine, says it’s online and gives a 200 when it joins a network, but the network never shows up on listnetworks.

systemctl status shows these errors
Dec 05 10:33:51 topshelf systemd[1]: Started ZeroTier One.
Dec 05 10:33:52 topshelf zerotier-one[463]: Starting Control Plane…
Dec 05 10:33:52 topshelf zerotier-one[463]: Error binding control plane to [::]:9993
Dec 05 10:33:52 topshelf zerotier-one[463]: ERROR: unable to configure virtual network port: could not open TUN/TAP device: No such file or directory

It is actually grabbing port 9993, so it’s not a port conflict
zerotier- 463 zerotier-one 7u IPv4 762 0t0 TCP *:9993 (LISTEN)

I tried reboots, uninstall/purge/reinstall, killing the network entirely, nothing seems to fix this control plane issue.

I think I figured it out, the tun module fails modprobe. I’ll see if I can fix that and report back in case someone else finds themselves here…

Seems to be something in raspberian 5.15.33-v7+ Used rpi-update and the new current probes it’s tun module with no issue.

For future folks, “sudo rpi-update”
then make sure “tun” is in lsmod output.

Zerotier was running just fine for me for about half a year and recently I started getting exactly the same “Error binding control plane…” error. The computer is not able to join the vpn. Restarting the service by executing “systemctl restart zerotier-one” occasionally helps (not every time) and zerotier joins the vpn but “systemctl status zerotier-one” still shows the error after the restart (even if zerotier actually joined the vpn). I am running zerotier on a desktop with CentOS 8 Stream.

Dec 08 10:37:49 xxx systemd[1]: Started ZeroTier One.
Dec 08 10:37:49 xxx zerotier-one[33333]: Starting Control Plane…
Dec 08 10:37:49 xxx zerotier-one[33333]: Error binding control plane to [::]:9993

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.