Flatpak version of Zerotier

With the release of Steam Deck I am seeing an explosion of interest in Linux. This will only continue as more people get their hands on one, and for them (and me) it would be amazing to have a Flatpak version of Zerotier that’s on par with ease of setup as Windows. As much as I enjoy Linux, it will remain intimidating for regular as long as they are told to open the Terminal. And flatpaks just plain rule. Completely distro agnostic and as close to “it just works”

A flatpak would be great.

3 Likes

You’re a legend friend! Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll hold off until all the kinks have been ironed out then. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Deleted my flawed method. You can directly install via pacman with these instructions on Steam Deck. https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/x9c59m/install_zerotier_and_other_pacman_apps/

1 Like

I followed this method (Link to Reddit post) and it’s been working great for me for past month or so

A Flatpak would still be nice though

The static binary sure is convenient, but you’re trusting some the random dude who uploaded it to github. I’d be much more comfortable with a howto or script that downloads the source code from the official zerotier repo to compile it on my steamdeck.

Voted.

I hate having to add third-party repositories. In fact, the perfect justification for this came TODAY.

The installer bash script you pipe to bash didn’t work because they had not updated it for Debian 12 even though they have a package built for bookworm.

A flatpak would be great, and they wouldn’t have to worry about supporting specific distros. That being said, I have no idea if ZeroTier could be made as a flatpak as it touches a lot of core system stuff.