Getting started with zerotier in Arch linux

so, it isn’t surprise to anyone here that i’m yet another person trying to use zerotier to play minecraft with friends without paying a 3rd party hosting service

after some fiddling around i think that i’ve got the zerotier network interfaces to show up:

any@anyArch ~ % ip link                                
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 18:c0:4d:f0:7b:5c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp3s0
4: ham0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1404 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 7a:79:19:07:a1:b0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
9: ztfp6gusmj: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 2800 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether c6:91:eb:a6:9c:57 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
10: ztks5rxkud: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 2800 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ee:48:a4:85:a6:69 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
11: ztc25mipch: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 2800 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 02:20:43:ae:58:51 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
12: ztuzet5vtq: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 2800 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 4e:4e:74:d7:dc:9c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

but i’m unable to ping my friend , i just won’t get a response (i’ve also tried hamachi as you can see in my CLI output, without any success, and it’s even worse because hamachi is closed source)

i’m quite newbie to networking, it’s something that i’ve been trying to avoid learning about but seems like i’ll need to dive into it sooner or later

Hello,
Looks like you’ve joined 4 networks. Do those interfaces have IP addresses? Check ip addr and sudo zerotier-cli listnetworks

it looks like i needed to reboot my system for real, but i remember having problems between a windows zerotier client with my linux client, i’m currently testing it with a friend of mine that uses linux, sadly i’ll need to wait until tomorrow ti test it out with my friend that’s on windows

Windows blocks pings by default.

i’ve got everything working fine, just had to reboot in order to get the zerotier network devices to show up in my arch linux, got it working with a windows client too just fine

if you are facing a similar problem in arch linux just remember to enable the zerotier service in order to get it running when you log in

sudo systemctl enable zerotier-one.service

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.