Idea: battery saving mode on Android?

Hello, first of all thank you for providing ZeroTier. It’s such a nice software.

An idea came to my mind because on my Samsung S22 the battery drain is still too high for me to be connected to my network all the time, especially during non-WiFi times. To turn on ZeroTier as fast as possible I already put a shortcut to the dropdown menu in the Android notification bar. But it’s still annoying and sometimes I forget to turn off VPN.

Afaik ZeroTier will try to stay connected all the time. However, my phone is not supposed to be reachable by others on the network all the time. In fact, my phone initiates all “application layer” connections into my network.

What I am trying to say is, for battery drain and usuability reasons, it’d be nice to have the ability to keep VPN enabled all the time, but allow it to disconnect from the network if there are no “application layer connections” anymore after a certain amount of time (which might reduce the battery drain?). If a connection into my ZeroTier network is established, it should reconnect, automatically.

Not sure if this is already happening under the hood or I should’ve patented this idea - anyway I wanted to share that with you guys.

(The title might be a little bit misleading. I am not refering to the battery saving mode on the phone or a behaviour based on the battery condition but just an optional “connection mode” enabled or disabled all the time as of the users choice.)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.