IP address is the same

Hi

I setup and connected Zerotier according to the instructions but when I check the IP address using a browser, the IP address hasn’t changed to the VPN IP address.

Thanks

Zerotier let’s you create private Networks with private IP addresses.
If you checked your IP address using a Browser, I guess you mean some “whatsmyip” Page. Pages like this will of course still see your public IP.

Hi Michael,

Yeah I understand the concept a bit more now thank you. I’m trying to find a way too test that the two devices I want to connect are actually connected and passing traffic. Also, what protocol is being used UDP, TCP?

Just try to ping from one device to the other using the zerotier IPs. Or use other Services like ssh, rdp or whatever you like using these IPs. Just imagine like your devices were connected with a cable.
As far as I know, zerotier tunnels are communicating mostly using udp.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your replies. So the situation is I’m trying to connect to a cloud server and verify that the connection is encrypted from the host on my LAN to the cloud server. The cloud server uses a desktop app for a Remote Desktop connection. I am able to ping the ZeroTier IP address just fine but I still would like a way of confirming the connection between the two devices, the hops along the path and the protocol used. Which encryption ciphers are used?

Thank you

You can read through the docs to find out more about the used encryption
https://www.zerotier.com/manual/

How would you go about pinging use the ZeroTier IP address. if you use a terminal it will just use the DHCP given ip right?

Again, zerotier is like as if you had a second networkcard with its own cable and switch and with its own IP network. If you ping or access the zerotier IP of another device, your OS has no other choice than sending it through zerotier becaus your regular network will not be able to reach this IP.

If you are able to ping to the ZeroTier IP-address, the connection exsists. As for hops along the path you can use the tracert command in Windows or traceroute in Linux, so tracert/traceroute x.x.x.x (the IP-address you want to ping instead of x.x.x.x). The hops along the path will not always be the same because the traffic takes the best route at the moment it is sent, if you send the exact same data to teh exact same IP it might take a slightly different path, and if you ping the ZeroTier IP you will not see any hops in between the two devices, you will only see the device that you are pinging, to see the actual hops along the path you need to ping the physical IP. ZeroTier is using UDP, TCP is only used if UDP does not succeed for different reasons.

Hi

Thanks for your response. So traffic can be tunnelled via the ZeroTier connection between devices. It is possible to use a protocol like RDP between hosts?

Thank you

Yes, traffic between two devices can be tunneld through ZeroTier if you give ZeroTier the highest priority or if you only give the ZeroTier IPs to the program or service sending the traffic.

Yes, it is possible to use RDP through ZeroTier if you connect to the ZeroTier IP instead of the physical IP.

Hello,

Is it possible to operate ZeroTier as a traditional VPN like OpenVPN and be able to have web requests reflect the ZeroTier provided ip address?

Thank you

Yes this is possible. You need to set up your own router/exit node and route traffic through it. See this knowledgebase article:

https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/7110693/Overriding+Default+Route+Full+Tunnel+Mode

You’d have to own a block of IPv4 & IPv6 addresses and assign addresses from that range to do this, otherwise it would show the IP address of your router/exit node.

We do not operate any routers/exit nodes for “Privacy” style VPNs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.