Iptables blank after reboot

Hi, I’ve setup a RPi3 with Kali Linux and Zerotier. And have followed the instructions with the link below for setting up NAT routed access to my internal LAN network:

[https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/224395274/Route+between+ZeroTier+and+Physical+Networks](Route between ZeroTier and Physical Networks)

Everything worked until I rebooted the RPi. Checked and found that the iptables are empty on reboot:

sudo iptables -t nat -L
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

however, the iptables rules have been successfully written to /etc/iptables/rules.v4

sudo cat /etc/iptables/rules.v4
# Generated by iptables-save v1.8.8 on Tue Oct  4 15:14:34 2022
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [261:28944]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [274:32838]
-A FORWARD -i eth0 -o zt6ovuu2zz -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i zt6ovuu2zz -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
COMMIT
# Completed on Tue Oct  4 15:14:34 2022
# Generated by iptables-save v1.8.8 on Tue Oct  4 15:14:34 2022
*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [19:1118]
:INPUT ACCEPT [17:998]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [35:4962]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [18:2476]
-A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
COMMIT
# Completed on Tue Oct  4 15:14:34 2022

I’ve tried to add the rules and save them again, but still empty iptables on reboot -

PHY_IFACE=eth0; ZT_IFACE=zt6ovuu2zz\
sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $PHY_IFACE -j MASQUERADE
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i $PHY_IFACE -o $ZT_IFACE -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i $ZT_IFACE -o $PHY_IFACE -j ACCEPT
sudo -i
bash -c iptables-save > /etc/iptables/rules.v4
dpkg-reconfigure iptables-persistent

Clueless on how to reload the iptables on reboot. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

If I issue the below command, the tables are restored and everything works fine:

sudo -i
iptables-restore < /etc/iptables/rules.v4

Thanks for posting. That’s annoying. Is something else also trying to manage your rules? It’s hard to find good information about iptables-persistent. Everything just says “install it”

I did not install anything else on the RPi. it just the base OS “kali-linux-2022.3-raspberry-pi-arm64.img.xz”.

When I issue the below command, it just says already installed.

sudo apt install iptables-persistent

I tried one more thing, gave the below command, rebooted, and now I do not have access to the RPi (it’s remote). I’ll have physical access to the device in about 8-10 hrs, will update on power cycle.

sudo systemctl enable netfilter-persistent.service

I now have physical access to the device. I was not able to access it remotely because zerotier is not working on it now, giving join command gives error:

sudo zerotier-cli join xxxxyyy
zerotier-cli: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I think I issued apt autoremove before reboot, guess something got broken.

Edit 1: Trying apt update & upgrade for fix the above issue. but the iptables are now getting restored after reboot. The below command fixed it:

sudo systemctl enable netfilter-persistent.service

Edit: 2: Not able to get past the “libssl.so.1.1” error. Did a update/upgrade, apt remove zerotier & reinstall using dpkg. Any pointers pls ?

Edit: 3 Finally was able to got this working by installing below package, then uninstall & re-install Zerotier.

sudo apt install -y libssl1.1
1 Like

One last question, can I replicate the same setup using an Android phone instead of a RPi ?

I tried going with termux + nethunter, on a non-rooted android phone. Unable to install Zerotier, gives the below error:

setpriv: setresgid failed: Operation not permitted

Could not find any successful documented process as well. I’m guessing maybe I need to root the phone for this to work ?

Good question. We haven’t tried that. There may be some info on the internet from other sources. We only support the app store version on Android.

Android App has a very basic functionality of joining and routing traffic via Zerotier. I was hoping if I could just send the phone to a remote network for support, and NAT into the network where the phone is connected. Using a phone with battery+good processor+RAM would be so much better than using a RPi.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.