LAN-orangepi-ZT-orangepi-LAN

Hi I’m new please be kind. I’m after some bridging help.

I did this, twice, with orangepi instead of raspberry pi:

https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/193134593/Bridge+your+ZeroTier+and+local+network+with+a+RaspberryPi

It’s fabulous. Thank you. Two separate LANs and two separate ZT networks. Everything persistant.

I’ve done a lot of looking already, but need help with the next step. My head hurts because ZT is so versatile that there’s no one guide, just lots of different uses, and reading (understanding!) them is sometimes hard.

I would like to bridge the two LANs without breaking what I already have here. I’ve tried already but I now need help. I think I also have to be concerned about DHCP packets traversing any bridge and causing havoc. I was hoping it might be something straight forward that I’m missing at the ZT web management portal, but it’s probably more involved than that.

Could anybody lend a hand here?

Thanks

Daniel

Hello,
Cool! Which orange pi model did you use?

Bridging gets a little trickier with multiple sites. You can block DHCP packets with something like drop dport 67 or dport 68; in your network rules.

Was the other question about the subnets for multiple sites?

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:

I used 2 x Orange Pi One Plus with Armbian Buster. They seem to run quite cool, so no fans. 3D printed some cases for them too.

So yes, my main question was about actually having the two LANS see each other via perhaps a new ZT network, instead of having them on independent ZT networks.

The two Orange Pi devices are set up as bridges as per your instructions here:

https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/193134593/Bridge+your+ZeroTier+and+local+network+with+a+RaspberryPi

Each one has it’s own ZT network - one for physical LAN one and another for physical LAN two.

I’ve been trying out ways of joining the two physical LANs via a new ZT network, but can’t do it. I’ve also broken the existing config a couple of times. Maybe it’s hard because this particular setup has the Eth and the ZT adapters linked as a bridge device in the Orange Pi, and that bridge device needs to join a new network properly?

Quick summary:

LAN one: 192.168.11.0
LAN one Orange pi: 192.168.11.2

LAN two: 192.168.22.0
LAN two Orange pi: 192.168.22.2

Eth and ZT adapters form bridge devices in Orange Pis.

DHCP address Pools for each are set up in respective ZT networks as per the linked instructions above.

The packet dropping thing can come later…

Cheers

Daniel

Hmm. I’m not sure if you could do it by adding another zerotier network.

I think you could do something like this:

| LAN           | Subnet          | "DHCP"             |           pi |       router |
|---------------+-----------------+--------------------+--------------+--------------|
| ZT            | 192.168.12.0/21 | 192.168.12.9 - 254 |              |              |
| LAN1          | 192.168.12.0/22 | 192.168.13.2 - 254 | 192.168.12.1 | 192.168.13.1 |
| LAN2          | 192.168.12.0/22 | 192.168.14.2 - 254 | 192.168.12.2 | 192.168.14.1 |

Ok, that looks interesting. I’ll give it a try and report back. Thank you very much for that :smiley:

Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.