Mikrotik with Zerotier

Hi.

I am creating a configuration of various mikrotik RB5009UG and hAP ax2 routerboards which will be connected in various remote locations and will have to communicate with each other via a zerotier controller.

What is the limit of the network that I create inside the zerotier controller which is installed in the cloud inside a VM with Ubuntu 22.

There are around 70 routerboards that I will connect and after a test configuration I find that some of them do not communicate correctly with the entire network but only with the routerboards installed initially. It seems like a route blocking problem on the part of the zerotier server.

I was thinking of creating another network for further testing and putting it in communication with the existing one.

Thank you.

Andrew

What is the limit of the network that I create inside the zerotier controller which is installed in the cloud inside a VM with Ubuntu 22.

Even the cheapest VM instances can have more than 70 connections.

To get a better answer, you must provide details about server capacity and whether your ZeroTier deployment needs traffic relay.

There are around 70 routerboards that I will connect and after a test configuration I find that some of them do not communicate correctly with the entire network but only with the routerboards installed initially. It seems like a route blocking problem on the part of the zerotier server.

You are probably hitting the broadcast limit, which has a default of 32. You should read the ZeroTier documentation that describes how network behavior changes if this limit is increased, and/or ensure that your deployment doesn’t depend on IPv4 broadcast traffic between a large number of nodes.

NB: ZeroTier Central, Advanced Section:

Hi Dajhorn,
thanks for your answer but I would like to explain better what I have configured and understand if the ZT server is not working correctly due to the limits that I read in a forum.

My VM just handles the control of ZT.

Detail for network:

As example, I have a problem with some network as example the 192.168.112.0/24 or the 10.127.93.1 when I use my client ZT with the ip 10.127.93.49, the networks are not reachable.
But, when I use the routerboard with the network 192.168.88.0/24 I I reach all networks.

In my controller I haven’t the section for multicast configuration.

I was thinking of creating three networks inside my controller with a subnet like this 255.255.224.0 and then putting the networks in communication via the main routerboard without doing routing via the ZT server.

Thanks

You have at least one critical typo in the files that you posted, but it isn’t obvious whether this error is in the actual configuration files or whether it was introduced when you tried to sanitize the files before posting them here.

:point_up: Doing this kind of thing wastes the time of people that might be willing to help you.

Past that, are you trying to evade the ZeroTier licensing fee by running a non-standard client or server? – You still need to check whether you are hitting the broadcast ceiling.

Hi.
In the file I modify my public network id for security reasons.
I created a virtual server with zerotier following an official guide and I don’t think there is anything strange.
I’m just wondering if this could be my problem:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.