Multiple DNS Search Domains

Please allow multiple DNS search domains. Many businesses and my home lab use multiple internal domain names. I have a .dev and a .lab domain. Having multiple search domains is pretty important to allowing connectivity.

I’d like to see a search domain tied to a specific DNS server, and multiple search domains tied to a specific DNS server.

e.g.

home.dev
home.lab

or

home.dev, home.lab

Thanks!

Currently we only support a single search domain per network, so that’s not possible at the moment. We have additional DNS features in the works. No publicly available info of exactly what & when as of yet.

As a solution for now, you could just use multiple networks, each with its own DNS config.

That’s why this is in Feature Request :slight_smile:

I get the feeling like this is not moving because of difficulty in making it work across different client OSes. I have only looked into Windows. On the client side, the registry key that is being modified is a multi_sz and can take more than one string. Tested, and works like a charm!

Of course, this would require controller changes, etc. but this is a very important feature for me for ease of deployment. The multiple network solution is a terrible idea (sorry it is,) because it multiplies node counts and complexity for no good reason.

Hello,
having multiple search domains would be very appreciated. In my company we have two internal domains. I would like to adopt ZeroTier for the company because it is a great software but this limitation is stopping the adoption.

This feature is in the backlog. A workaround for now would be to have clients join 2 networks; one for each DNS search domain configuration.

1 Like

Hello Grant,
thanks for your suggestion. I have configured a second network with just DNS search domain and server. No IP address auto-assignment, no managed routes.
Joined it from my client and now resolves the names of both search domains are resolved.

1 Like