Odd default gateway 25.255.255.254 added during installation on Windws (1.10.5 / 1.12.0)

It appears that this old issue has resurfaced (or hasn’t been resolved) where the installation adds a very odd default gateway on Windows, as shown below. According to whatismyipaddress.com, the IP address 25.255.255.254 belongs to the ISP 'UK Ministry of Defence (!).

Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0   25.255.255.254    10.147.10.173  10034

I have recently performed 3 new installations with ZT version 1.10.5 on Windows 10, all experiencing the same problem. Linux works fine, meaning it doesn’t add this IP address.

Question: Is there a way to get rid of this, or do I have to add a blackhole route to avoid routing to 25.255.255.254?

Same problem goes with v1.12.0. A temporary workaround is simply to delete the erroneous route manually:

C:\> route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 25.255.255.254

This is by design and not a bug. It’s a workaround that allows windows firewall to detect the interface. Without it, the interface is ignored by Windows Firewall.

You don’t have to do anything. Traffic won’t actually route there.

See the code & comments here:

Okay, I see. Have you tried binding the interface to a network profile using the Network::GetCategory (i.e. Network List Manager API and pals) and initially setting it to public?

Normally there is a class called “unidentified networks” that defaults to “public”.

Computer Policy → Windows Settings → Security Settings → Network List Manager Policies

Can’t say we have. We’re open to pull requests though.

I’ll look into it (no promises though).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.