QNAP - Failed to install ZeroTier. Downgrade QTS to 5.0.0 or an older compatible version

Hello Martin,

thanks for pointing this out. Hopefully the maintainer of the community package is following this thread and fixing this.

-MartinWM

2 Likes

Thanks also to all involved.
I will try to “play” tonight with zerotier_1.8.4_x86_64.qpkg and see what I can get working but I agree - now that some very dedicated hero’s have founds problem / solution, it should not be too hard to release an update to zerotier_1.8.4_x86_64.qpkg that works :slight_smile:

I’d also like to thank everyone here again… as this is wonderful.

Bob, regarding your offer to build a cleaned-up-version of all these instructions, thank you so much for that as well!

I have an additional question for you as you build those final instructions: Once a person has upgraded firmware to 5.0.1, is it then possible to upgrade to ZeroTier 1.10.1 ? At one point in this, you mentioned it was not possible unless a user first downgraded firmware back to 5.0.0 (then did the upgrade of ZeroTier, then re-upgrade firmware to 5.0.1)

Assuming this is still the case, might you add a few comments to this regard in the beginning of your instructions you are assembling? I wasn’t sure if any of the above thread had solved that issue of not being able to upgrade ZeroTier, when already sitting at the new firmware. Also, if you have any experience worth noting, for the firmware down-leveling process, that would be great to know as well.

THANKS!

Hi Jim Rubbish -
when this thread got started, mvonweis showed us how to get Zerotier 1.8.4 working if you updated to QTS 5.0.1. But his “fix” would not survive a reboot. I tried this out at the time and here is the process. (Because I had already installed 5.0.1, and it would not work). If you reinstalled QTS 5.0.0, you could easily install ZeroTier 1.8.4 (as always) and it would work. You would now install QTS 5.0.1 (with 1.8.4 already installed), and it would NO LONGER WORK. So you can the fix from mvonweis that he showed on Sept. 14th, and now ZeroTier worked on QTS 5.0.1. But the minute you rebooted, it stopped working, and you had to re run all those lines of code. And then it started to work again. Of course, that was unacceptable.

Then Martinwm got involved, and showed how to get Zerotier 1.10.1 to work. So to be clear - I uninstalled Zerotier 1.8.4, rebooted, and made sure that there was no Zerotier on my QNAP. I then went to QNAPCLUB.eu, and downloaded the Zerotier 1.10.1 .qpkg, and of course it DID NOT WORK, but it installed on QTS 5.0.1, and lit up it’s lovely orange color. Then I followed martinwm’s instructions (he initially made some syntax typos), and then I got it to run correctly. So in summary, this was QTS 5.0.1 with a clean install of Zerotier 1.10.1

but this would not survive a reboot. On Sept 24th, martinwm shows us how to modify the OTier1.sh file (again, a minor typo - it’s actually 0Tier1.sh*) - and once you do this, now you can reboot your QNAP 5.0.1 with ZeroTier 1.10.1, and everything continues to work.
I will post the complete thread soon. I have already posted it on the Reddit QNAP forum and the forum.qnap.com community forum. So stand by.

Bob Zelin

Installation summary of QNAP QTS 5.0.1 and Zerotier 1.10.1 on Sept 26, 2022

Hi -

the interest in Zerotier and Tailscale exists because it allows for remote access of The QNAP (like QVPN or Wireguard) without having to open up ports on the internet router, allowing for the possibility of Ransomware attacks to The QNAP. This worked well with QTS 5.0.0, but has now stopped working with QTS 5.0.1.

I have been participating on the Zerotier forums for the last week, and thanks mainly to two users on the Zerotier Community forum - martinwm and mvonweis, this is how to get Zerotier to work with QNAP QTS 5.0.1.

This explanation is not for the “faint of heart”. You should be familiar with ssh-ing into your QNAP, and for the second part, you should be familiar with the linux file editor vi, vim, pico, or nano. These are not hard to learn, and certainly are no harder to learn, than actually installing Zerotier or Tailscale onto a QNAP, which require these skills. I am not a linux expert - I am barely an amateur, and you don’t have to know all the commands of the linux file editor - just enough to make minor changes of a file, and save them.

The official release of Zerotier for QNAP is 1.8.4, and this is not the correct release for QTS 5.0.1. Zerotier 1.8.4 will work, if you have QTS 5.0.0 and Zerotier installed, and then do an update, and then enter a bunch of terminal commands, but it will not survive a reboot of The QNAP. These terminal commands would have to be entered again, to get Zerotier to work again. If you have a clean install of QTS 5.0.1, you simply cannot install Zerotier 1.8.4 (believe me, I tried) - you must install the new version of Zerotier 1.10.1, which is currently available from Qnapclub.eu

for my test system, I am using a QNAP TS-251+, running QTS 5.0.1. I was very disappointed to see that when you do a manual install of Zerotier 1.10.1 into The QNAP App Center, it will not work. This is because this application is not written correctly. This is when I started to participate on the Zerotier community forums, and received incredible help from martinwm and mvonweis, in order to get this to work.

To be clear, you need to choose the correct version of Zerotier to download - most “better QNAP” or professional systems (and the TS-251 is a cheap 2 bay) - uses the x86_64 version.

Before I go any further, I will assume that you have created an account with Zerotier (which is free), and created a network for at least your PC or Mac, so you can test this.

once Zerotier 1.10.1 is installed in the App Center of QTS 5.0.1, you ssh into your QNAP, and run the following lines -

cd /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg

ln -s 0Tier1 ZeroTier

ln -s 0Tier1 zerotier

cd ZeroTier

ln -s usr/sbin/zerotier-one

cd /usr/sbin

ln -s /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ZeroTier/zerotier-one

cd /var/lib

ln -s /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ZeroTier zerotier-one

once this is done, you enter this line -

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ZeroTier/0Tier1.sh start

and Zerotier will start. I received an error saying there is a port 9993 error, but this did not prevent

me from using Zerotier, or continuing with this process.

you can now enter in terminal, where you are ssh’ed into -

zerotier-cli info

or

zerotier-cli status

to confirm that Zerotier is running on your QNAP. To now join the Zerotier network with your QNAP, you type in

zerotier-cli join YourNetworkID

where “YourNetworkID” is the 16 digit number you get from the Zerotier account that you created.

You will now see (at the bottom of your Zerotier account) that your QNAP appears, and can be activated. It will soon say that it is “online”.

OK - now that it’s working, here comes the painful part.

when you reboot The QNAP, Zerotier will no longer be running, so you have to modify some files with a linux text editor (like vi) to get this to always stay on, after a reboot.

here we go -

ssh into the QNAP

cd /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/zerotier

if you ls -l, you will see the the file 0tier1.sh*

vi 0tier1.sh*

scroll down all this crap (I was intimidated, I am not a programmer, so this looks like a bunch of gibberish to me) - and fine the paragraph that starts with modprobe tun

I am going to show you the end result, but you are going to be adding in the last line here

of

/bin/ln -s $QPKG_ROOT /var/lib/zerotier-one

so when you are done, it should look like this -

modprobe tun

/bin/ln -s $QPKG_ROOT/zerotier-one /usr/sbin/zerotier-cli

/bin/ln -s $QPKG_ROOT/zerotier-one /usr/bin/zerotier-cli

/bin/ln -s $QPKG_ROOT /var/lib/zerotier-one

but we ain’t done yet -

now you have to scroll down to the killall zerotier-one section, and add the last line of

rm -rf /var/lib/zerotier-one

so it ultimately looks just like this -

killall zerotier-one

rm -rf /usr/sbin/zerotier-cli

rm -rf /usr/bin/zerotier-cli

rm -rf /var/lib/zerotier-one

save all of this with

:wq!

and now you can reboot your QNAP, and ZeroTier will still be running, without having to do this all over again. As I observe the Zerotier community website, I see that these same 2 guys are finding errors in the Zerotier 1.10.1 package, that they are posting. I have not made these changes in my system, as mine is working.

you can now ssh back in, type in

zerotier-cli listnetworks

and you will see your Zerotier network.

I find it troubling that Zerotier is not working on this, and that the person who posted Zerotier 1.10.1on the QNAPClub.eu website expects “regular people” to be able to figure all of this stuff out, and apparantly he has some minor errors in his .qpkg.

Believe me, as I worked thru this last week, I was getting very frustrated with all the changes, and I said “I am just going to use Tailscale, and forget Zerotier” - but according to the Tailscale website as of yesterday, the current release of Tailscale is ALSO NOT WORKING with QTS 5.0.1

I hope this helps someone, and as I said at the beginning, I know that this process is “not for the faint of heart”. But at least you don’t have to open up port 1194 to get QVPN to work (along with possibly getting Deadbolt or QLocker !).

Bob Zelin

6 Likes

thank you martinwm, mvonweis and for putting it together, Bob

just a quick note, you still have to apply the changes posted by Martin, see below.
and also, you have probably rejoin to the ZT network after reinstalling ZT

Ah, you can avoid this if you copy the *.public and *.secret files from the old installation to the new. I also usually copy the networks and peers folders for good measure. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
–Martin

1 Like

Well done all!
I will have a short window tomorrow to access my QNAP running QTS 5.0.1 and Zerotier 1.8.4 (formally working)

Is there a proven process with precise syntax (uppercase / lowercase etc.) that I can use OR i am better downgrading and trying with the community version 1.10.1

Not much time to hack my way through it so looking for that golden ticket.
Anyone seen the good guys from ZeroTier :wink:

Thanks again everyone for your efforts.

marqueMC

Hi -
boy - I bet everyone is getting tired of this thread ! And soon, Zerotier will release an “official release” so we don’t have to go thru all of this. Apparently, the Qnapclub.eu 1.10.1 release is written by a QNAP employee in France for Qnapclub, but I guess he did not put the effort in, that the guys on this community forum have (which I am very grateful for). I just installed my first REAL WORLD QNAP/Zerotier 1.10.1 about one hour ago - I told my client “just don’t upgrade your QNAP” and of course, he already had upgraded to QTS 5.0.1, so this was the perfect time to do a “clean test”. IF you follow my instructions from post 44 on this thread (from 2 days ago) - it will all work. With that said, I had NOT done mvonweis fix of the two incorrect lines in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg, and it still worked. I just checked on my test system, and sure enough, mvonweis is correct, and these to lines (in post 46 on this thread) are incorrect from the 0Tier1.sh*, so I just fixed them on my system. And I just rebooted my QNAP, and it’s all working perfectly.

You guys are great !
Bob Zelin

2 Likes

Hi all,

Just wanted to report that I upgraded to 5.0.1.2173 a moment ago and the QNAP popped up again on the zt network after rebooting. :sweat_smile:

I’m using the community ZeroTier 1.10.1 package with the abovementioned modifications to the 0Tier1.sh script.

Cheers,
–Martin

thank you for this confirmation Martin.
For those that get confused easily (like I do)
Martin has stated that he is using the qnapclub.eu community script of Zerotier 1.10.1, not the “official release” from Zerotier, and he has modified this, using all the command line stuff that you will find in this very long thread. You just don’t install it, load it into the QNAP App Center, and it just works (like you would hope !).

Thanks again for the confirmation.
Bob Zelin

I have not had a chance to play yet with the various hacks / workarounds as other fires to deal with at present and sadly colleagues (sorry to say) moved to another option but REALLY surprised no updated official release from the team yet.
Keeping the faith… keeping the faith

I have had installed ZeroTier on a previous QTS version. But now it won’t start anymore. Are these 2 separate topics or are those related? Also there’re people saying it doesn’t survive a reboot which sounds like it does start at least once. But for me it doesn’t start at all, anymore.

fyi: QNAP TS-253A (5.0.1.2173 build 20221001), released yesterday.

Have the same issue. Would really love to see the official ZeroTier package for QNAP to be updated so we can all start using this fabulous app again. Thanks!

A useful solution:
1:
docker run -d --name zerotier-one --device=/dev/net/tun --net=host --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --cap-add=SYS_ADMIN -v $HOME/docker/zerotier-one:/var/lib/zerotier-one --restart=always zyclonite/zerotier
2:
docker exec zerotier-one zerotier-cli join xxxxxxxxxxxx

1 Like

Really great community response here, guys. Sorry I haven’t been able to focus on this particular issue yet, I haven’t been ignoring it, just didn’t have time to put together a proper response/package yet. I’ll review the issues and the detective work done by some of you and try to get a new set of packages out soon. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Good day, everyone. Here’s some updated 1.10.1 packages. It would be extremely helpful if you report whether this works or not and include your device’s model number and firmware version. Thank you very much for your patience. We will be working on properly signing these and requesting inclusion in the QNAP AppCenter soon but for now they must be manually installed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://download.zerotier.com/dist/qnap/

2 Likes

Hello Joseph -
I would like to confirm that I have just installed Zerotier 1.10.1 on a QNAP running QTS 5.0.1 latest firmware (as of 10/13/2022) - and its working without all the insanity of the last 57 posts in this thread !
So have no fear - doing a straight install, like you used to do with Zerotier 1.8.4, works right away, without any of the extensive CLI commands (other than zerotier-cli join and your network ID).

I guess others will wait for Tailscale to clean up their mess !

EDIT: Email removed by other admin

Hi Joseph -
if you email me directly, I will give you the contacts at QNAP that you need to reach. I can’t post them here -

EDIT: Email removed by admin

Thanks @bobzelin, We’ll reach out if we run into any snags. Thanks so much for reporting back!