[Question] Character Length of ZeroTier Identity Secret

Hello ZeroTier Team,

I hope you all are well. In our efforts to automate IP assignments and member authorization for ZeroTier networks within OpenWISP, we’ve been utilizing the ZeroTier service API. To do this, we extract node IDs from identity secrets generated by ‘zerotier-idtool’ before execution. Currently, we’re storing these generated identities as text fields in our database.

During our investigation, we’ve observed that identity secrets generated using the zerotier-idtool generate command consistently have a length of 270 characters. We’ve scoured the documentation but couldn’t find specific information regarding the expected character length.

Could you kindly confirm whether the character length of these identity secrets is always 270 across all systems, or if it may vary?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Aryaman

Hi,
that’s lower level than I deal with, but maybe this will be helpful

It’s not specified as far as I know, so even if the are always a certain length now, it could change in the future.

Why do you need to know the length of the identity file?

1 Like

The encoded text length of the public & private keys isn’t specified to any defined length. It could potentially change at some point in the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.