Removal of ZeroTier breaks NIC config

Hey clever people,

I have a Windows Server 2012R2 server running Hyper-V with a selection of VM on board.

Some time ago the site got Starlink installed, which in itself broke a trouble-free experience for the users.

I then started experimenting with ZT on a guest Windows Server. I found it worked reasonably well, but the overhead on the guest Windows became an issue over time. I then (cheekily) installed it on the host, it functioned for about a week, before refusing to even start the service.

Ultimately I’d created a Linux VM and installed ZT on that. Bingo, rock solid.

My remnant issue now though, is if I remove ZT from the host server, it disables the IP addressing of the NICs. Which while the guest VMs still have internet access (weirdly), the host is unreachable. I have to attend the remote site and plug a monitor in.

There are 4 physical NICs, only two are physically cabled. However the system reports 3 x physical 331i adapters (#1, #2, #4), 2 x Hyper-V Virtual Adapters (#2 & @3) and then 2 x ZT Virtual Ports (#2 & #3).

I’d like to remove ZT from this system, but without causing disruption. I’m in a quandary.

An addendum.
When I suggested removal broke the NICs, I performed an attempt to remove ZT again. When going in to check on the settings of the Internet facing NIC, I get the following:
“In order to configure TCP/IP, you must install and enable a network adapter card.”

Although this time I was able to maintain a remote connection and reinstall and reinstate the correct IP addresses. With the exception, the ZT interface still hijacks the NIC and locks in to 169.254.171.185???

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.