We are discussing in the Node-RED community how we could introduce ZeroTier to access our home automation system via the internet in a secure way (without port forwarding).
We used to do it like this:
- Navigate with the browser of your smartphone to port 1880 of your router.
- Your router does port forwarding of port 1880 to the Raspberry Pi
- Node-RED listens to that port 1880 and returns its web interface
By using ZeroTier we can very easily avoid port forwarding to port 1880. See part 1 in the image below, since - as a new user - I am only entitled to add a single image.
Ok so far so good…
But Google voice assistant is also integrated into Node-RED. We used to do it like this:
- You speak to your smartphone speaker, to enter give voice commands via the Google Assistant.
- Android passes those voice commands to the Google cloud platform.
- The Google cloud platform calls a callback url (which you need to enter once in the setup phase), which refers to port 3001 of your router
- Your router forwards port 3001 to Node-RED
- Node-RED executes the required commands.
But it is not clear if we can implement this somehow by using ZeroTier (without port forwarding to port 3001). See part 2 in the image below:
Any tips are appreciated!!