[Solved] Synology, Asustor can't join via GUI - Using SSH/CLI

I’ve manage to join to ZeroTier on Synology DS115, DS218+, DS718+, Asustor AS6102T. On all this devices ZeroTier works. Read below what to do.

What I have done:

• I installed ZeroTier App via GUI APP Center on NAS,

• through NAS management website I turned ON SSH connection

• then I connected to NAS via Command Line SSH. From Windows run CMD with Administrator priviliges

• in CMD write: ssh “user_name”@“NAS_IP_ADDRESS”
    then password

• zerotier-cli join “network-it”

I recived error:
missing authentication on all Synology NAS (Asustor works straightaway)

Info from: https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/29065282/Command+Line+Interface+zerotier-cli

“missing authentication token and authtoken.secret not found (or readable)”

If you get this error message, you’re likely trying to run zerotier-cli from a non-administrative account. On macOS, Linux, or other Unix based systems, use sudo zerotier-cli . On Windows, use an Administrator Command Prompt.

To solve error in command line I wrote:
cd /var/lib/zerotier-one
then:
sudo chown “user with admin privilges” authtoken.secret

then I checked ZoreTier statu:
zerotier-cli info (like eskimo1967) or zertier-cli status
to check status.
Remember to go to ZeroTier account (my.zerotier.com) and see if any new devices connected to your network if yes have to authenticate this device.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this. I will be updating the NAS packages next month and will include better guidance but in the meantime @Mat’s comment is very useful.

If anyone else is experiencing issues I am collecting bug reports here. Add your device model number and DSM version to an issue to ensure your case is addressed.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.