Verifying use of AES-NI in 1.6?

Hi, I’m at a very novice level with my linux-fu and was wondering if there was a simple way to check if AES-NI (encryption acceleration) is in use on my little Armbian based lab devices? I use a couple boards from Friendly Elec that leverage the Cortex-A53(Neo2) and Rockchip RK3328(R2S). Both chips seem to support AES-NI but I thought it would have a larger performance impact than the 30%ish boost I’m seeing now with 1.6. EDIT: I figure this boost is from raw CPU benefiting from the new cryptography implemented.

I’m a net-eng by trade but this project has re-ignited my interest for learning linux all over again :). The team is making awesome progress and ZT is definitely my favourite new find this year!

30% might be about right. How is the CPU/power usage during a test? Should be lower than before. With the AES, the bottleneck is io more than crypto now. Version 2 will be faster still.

I don’t see anything in the CLI that tells if a connection it’s AES or not, which would be nice.

Hi @zt-travis,
I tried an iperf3 test and monitored the cpu(s) using s-tui. Unfortunately it didnt give me any readouts on power but thermals were pretty stable at 65-70C and I watched 100% usage float around between the 4 cores while the average held around 60-70%.

I’m testing from an i7 based MBP and noticed the fans kicking in - took a look at task manager and was interested to see that “kernel_task” was 100%+. Is this related to io being a bottleneck? EDIT: I think I’m out to lunch on this - might have misread how Activity Monitor represents process CPU usage.

From a network geek’s perspective I see only 200-250Mbps but as I’m trying to learn about systems, I think I’m starting to grasp that all that data has to bounce around between memory and CPU through what could possibly be several iterations - consuming far greater resources than someone like me assumes usually.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.