ZeroTeir on an ARM Embedded Linux box?

I can’t do a:
curl -s https://install.zerotier.com | sudo bash due to SSL issues. Obviously embedded installs are pretty lean.
I can download the package from GitHub but not enough Linux experience to really know what to do from there or if it’s even possible.

We might have a build that’ll work. You might have to compile. What distro is your device based on?

https://download.zerotier.com/dist/

OK, as I said my Linux knowledge is pretty limited so im running on google here :slight_smile:

The first thing I will say is I’m logging in credentials RPM:RPM, RPM in Linux land Red Hat Package Manager from what I’ve read so maybe that’s our answer right there?

I’ve run a few commands to try to work out what the hardware is and OS.

cpuinfo:
Hardware : Freescale i.MX6 Quad/DualLite (Device Tree)
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 7.54
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpd32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 10

release:
NAME=“Savant Embedded Linux”
VERSION=“20.04”
VERSION_ID=20.04
PRETTY_NAME=“Savant Embedded Linux 20.04”
BUILD_NUMBER=“690”
SAVANT_OS_VERSION=pro-9.4.3
SAVANT_IMAGE_TYPE=smart
BUILD_ID=690
MACHINE=imx6q-savant-ace
DISTRO=savant
DISTRO_NAME=Savant Embedded Linux
DISTRO_VERSION=20.04
FRIENDLY_NAME=Savant Host

Hope that helps. If there’s any other commands that might help please let me know!

Interesting. So, you need “root” to run zerotier, so it can add network interfaces. I don’t know if you can get that on that device. You also need a way to automatically start zerotier after a reboot.

FYI, if you want to connect to that box with an ios app over zerotier, it probably won’t work.
iOS and Android don’t let “VPN” connections do broadcast, so the phone won’t discover the host.

20.04 is an ubuntu version. That’s funny that the login is RPM.
So maybe the armhf in here will run:
https://download.zerotier.com/debian/focal/pool/main/z/zerotier-one/

If you can get it onto the host some how, and run dpkg -i on it.

With some creative bridging at both the host’s location and your office/home, you could get remote access, but it’d be a project.

wget works to download but no dice on the dpkg command or any of these others: apt-get, aptitude, rpm, yum, slapt-get, ipkg. rpm did return permission denied but then sudo rpm returned the same “command not found”

I know the supplier was able to install/run/autostart some kind of custom lighting server on these devices (basically home automation processors) so there must be a way… I may need to do some more digging but they will likely be reluctant to divulge :slight_smile:

Not too interested in connecting via an iOS/Android device as the Savant app does that already. I’m mainly looking for an easy way to remotely push an update from my Mac (the software is MacOS only) to the hosts out in the field that’s not reliant on me VPN’ing into the site in a traditional manner as we don’t always manage the clients networks, and even then we can have challenges just based on what ISP they are using.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.