ZeroTier 2.0 release date

Hi!

Is there an estimation on when ZeroTier 2.0 will be released or is the release still to far into the future for this estimation to be made?

This is the latest: https://www.zerotier.com/2019/09/24/zerotier-2-0-status/

I have read it already, but I didn’t find an estimation in there, and that was written over a year ago, so I thought that someone might have found an estimation elsewhere, or that anyone from the ZeroTier team had an estimation.

@zt-grant, @zt-travis: Do you have an estimation as to when ZeroTier 2.0 will be released?

If there were anything to announce, it would be announced.

1 Like

Hi Gara, thanks for the question. Is there a specific feature you’re hoping for in 2.0?

Just some background about our recent release philosophy. A big reason why we released 1.6 is because our amazing team had some shippable features ready to go and we didn’t want to wait for 2.0. Also, we do continually ship ZeroTier Central updates and update other packages (i.e. like our NAS packages, for example) as needed.

2 Likes

Hi,
Yes, the feature that I am in waiting for right now is the ability to host my own root servers, and not have to rely on the ZeroTier root servers. I have tested doing it with the current method (using the mkworld.cpp file in /attic/world) and I have reached the point where I am mostly done testing and am ready to actually deploy ZeroTier, but if 2.0 will be released within two or three months, then it would feel like a waste of time creating and using my own fork of ZeroTier to get privately hosted root servers. If it will be longer than three months or so, then I can start implementing what I currently have and then look into updating everything to 2.0 when it is released.

2 Likes

Hi!
I also have been waiting a very long time for the 2.0 release. The feature that I am heavily interested in is the bypass ZT root servers. Any target date considering its been a year since the last update on the 2.0 reference.
tom

1 Like

Using whole number versions in product names can create unrealistic expectations and pressure for companies.

For example, the task management app “Things” by Culture Code has gone through versions like “Things 2” and “Things 3,” leading users to anticipate “Things 4.” Since the last update “Things 3” was in 2019, users may become impatient for the next major version number.

It might be more effective for companies to avoid using whole number versions in names or promoting them as significant events, as this can lead to disappointment when new versions (whole number releases) don’t arrive as expected.

A better approach is exemplified by Zoom, which doesn’t use version numbers in its name and simply rolls out features as they become available. This allows for continuous development and improvements without creating undue anticipation.

Linus Torvalds does not put any value on whole number releases meaning anything either in regards to the Linux Kernel (as another good example).

Don’t worry about ZeroTier version 2. The company is consistently releasing updates, and if they have major features to add, they will likely increase the version number. Whether it will be version “2” is uncertain, but ultimately, it doesn’t really matter. What’s important is that they continue to develop and improve their product to meet user needs and expectations.

1 Like