ZeroTier for ESXI Host VIB

Does Zerotier have a VIB install file avail for install on ESXI hosts directly?
Ie not referring to the VMs running on the host, I mean the host itself?
Ie install on ESXI directly…

ChatGPT had this to say:

To install Zerotier on an ESXi host, you can follow these steps:

1. Download the Zerotier installation package: Go to the Zerotier website and download the latest version of the Zerotier installation package for ESXi. The package will be in the form of a VIB (VMware Installation Bundle) file.
  2. Upload the VIB file to your ESXi host: You can upload the VIB file to your ESXi host using the VMware vSphere Client or the ESXi host’s datastore.
  3. Install the VIB file: To install the VIB file, you will need to use the ESXi command line. Connect to the ESXi host using an SSH client, and then run the following command to install the VIB file:

bashCopy code

esxcli software vib install -v /path/to/zerotier-x.x.x.x-ESXi.vib

Replace “/path/to/zerotier-x.x.x.x-ESXi.vib” with the actual path to the VIB file you uploaded.

1. Start the Zerotier service: After the VIB has been installed, you can start the Zerotier service using the following command:

bashCopy code

/etc/init.d/zerotier start
  1. Join a Zerotier network: To join a Zerotier network, you will need to use the Zerotier-One command line tool. Connect to the ESXi host using an SSH client and run the following command to join a network:

pythonCopy code

zerotier-cli join <network-id>

Replace “” with the ID of the Zerotier network you want to join.

These steps should allow you to successfully install and use Zerotier on an ESXi host. If you encounter any issues or have any questions, you may want to consult the Zerotier documentation or seek assistance from the Zerotier support team.

And this …

You can download the Zerotier VIB (VMware Installation Bundle) file for ESXi from the Zerotier website. Here are the steps:

1. Go to the Zerotier website: Open a web browser and go to the Zerotier website at https://www.zerotier.com.
  2. Click on the “Download” button: On the Zerotier website, click on the “Download” button to access the download page.
  3. Select the ESXi VIB file: On the download page, scroll down to the “ESXi” section and select the VIB file that corresponds to the version of ESXi you are running on your host.
  4. Download the VIB file: Once you have selected the VIB file, click on the “Download” button to download the file to your local system.

These steps should allow you to download the Zerotier VIB file for ESXi from the Zerotier website. You can then upload the VIB file to your ESXi host and install it using the steps I outlined in my previous answer.

HOWEVER… This download does not exist and I cannot see it anywhere on the alternative download locations…

Either its not widely avail or one might have to build the vib package yourself… if so … how can I do this?

Hi,

No we don’t have a VIB for VMware. Sorry about that. Looks like ChatGPT made up what the instructions might look like if we did have one. Alas we don’t, so it’s a work of fiction that you got from ChatGPT.

2 Likes

Thank you @zt-grant :slight_smile:
I suspected as much since its not mentioned in any of the zt documentation…
Are there any plans to built vibs for vmware?

There’s nothing on our immediate roadmap for that right now. Best way forward for now is adding a VM and installing ZeroTier on that, then configuring it as a router.

1 Like

@superq1, Never Ever trust ChatGPT to provide correct facts, it’s just a dumb language model without any real intelligence that imitates your native language. Thus, before posting anything that is originated from ChatGPT you have to verify all the facts yourself.

“What is the difference between cow eggs and chicken eggs?” (Test it your self…)

1 Like

:joy: Yep hence the post in this forum
Seemed to good to be true :disappointed:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.