Zerotier on DSM 7, not working (not upgrade, not install)

Synology DSM 7 was FINAL version out yesterday 29 June.
After update trial of one DS918+ with zerotier working… after upgrade, zerotier service was blocked.
Uninstalled and tried to install again, we get the message: File format not valid.

There’re any plan to upgrade and be compatible with this version (DSM 7)?

Not possibility to go back… and lot of us use zerotier to extend our connectivity.

Regards,

Following - I have the same problem.

Unfortunately we don’t have a good solution at this time. Synology kind of swept the rug out from under us on this update with not allowing root access any longer, and ZeroTier needs that to configure its virtual network adapter. You can try our docker container. I unfortunately have no ETA and can’t even say for sure if there will be a native solution outside of docker for DSM 7 at this time.

Is there a step-by-step guide on how to set up ZeroTier in docker for Synology?

I managed to Zerotier working via docker using this guide:

https://blog.darkpan.com/posts/running-zerotier-on-synology-nas-using-docker/

Happy days!

1 Like

Also impacted and following this topic. Docker can be a solution but unfortunately not all models support It.

@zt-grant ,

Is this an idea? DSM 7 support? - synology-wireguard (gitmemory.com)

hello @nvll.bl , I wasn’t able to run the docker, it says that zerotier is not available, any idea what I might be doind wrong? the docker was succesfully created and my tun interface is up and running, it is just the launch script that does nothing,
“Error response from daemon: No such container: zerotier-one”
Edit1 : Got it working, I had to run zerotier just to have a container named like that, the “if” condition searches and removes previous entries

1 Like

hello gents, I followed the guide and got ZT working on my DS920+, unfortunately after each restart the ZT docker log gives me:

ERROR: unable to configure virtual network port: could not open TUN/TAP device: No such file or directory

when I run the zerotier.sh script again manually, it all connects well and ZT is working again so something is wrong with the automatic loading after restart.

Anyone experienced anything similar, any thoughts on a solution? Would love to have ZT working…

EDIT: got in touch with the author of the guide and he was getting the same error - he has updated the guide and now all is working great, enjoy ZT docker and many thanks to Marco :slight_smile:

hi everyone,
is there any chance that the program will be developed for dsm7 ? I’m using a DS 218 (no plus no nothing) and not even docker is supported. Unfortunately I just upgraded the machine to DSM7 and I was not told beforehand on the install (like with other apps, e.g. lime survey) that zero tier would not work in the future if I continued the install… I’m scared of downgrading the DS218 (and I admit that I like the new look of DSM7). But I definitely don’t want to miss the use of my zero tier network.
Does anyone have a good idea?

BR
henne

Hello everyone. We have new instructions for getting ZeroTier to work on Synology’s latest DSM 7. Let me know if you have any trouble getting this to work.

1 Like

Thank you very much!! These instructions are good and simple. Except the slightly fuzzy part about using an automatically mounted disk instead of /var/lib/zerotier-one, not much thinking is required ^^

Edit: also lol @ " Previous versions of our package contained a GUI, however this is no longer the case and it is for the better." :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, perhaps that section could be simplified. I’ve just seen many cases where a DSM upgrade wipes places on the FS you’d assume are safe which would result in an upgrade breaking connectivity to a remote NAS.

And about the GUI, thanks for noticing that. Dockerizing this was a convenient way to end support for that buggy old UI.