ZeroTier stops working when hardware changes?

I have a Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2019) and a CalDigit TS3Plus thunderbolt dock. I use the dock to connect to my network over ethernet. I also have WiFi connected at the same time as ethernet to enable automatic login with my Apple Watch.

Whenever I unplug the dock all ZT traffic stops and the only way to resolve the issue is to restart MacOS. I confirmed this is the issue by running ping and then unplugging the dock, the result is instantly losing ping as soon as it’s unplugged. The info command and my.zerotier.com still says I’m online. The peers command doesn’t seem to change before and after either.

I tried “restarting” ZT by killing the menu bar app and the zerotier-one process and then opening it again, it didn’t fix it. If there’s some kind of official way to restart it I couldn’t figure it out from the docs and googling.

I thought maybe I could just “restart” the MacOS networking stack instead of the entire machine? There doesn’t seem to be a way to do that either?

I was able to trigger a similar error by turning off the ethernet adapter in network settings (Configure IPv4: Off). This caused the zt traffic to stop even though I was still connected via WiFi. When I turned the adapter back on (Configure IPv4: Using DHCP) traffic did not come back.

I tried to stop the zerotier service by running sudo launchctl stop com.zerotier.one but the service started back up immediately (it had a new PID). When it restarted, the zt traffic started working again!

I then disabled the ethernet adapter, ran sudo launchctl stop com.zerotier.one and that fixed zt traffic so that it worked over WiFi.

Doing all that in reverse also broke and was fixed the same way (start with zt traffic running over WiFi, then disable/enable it to switch to zt traffic over ethernet).

I haven’t tried unplugging my ethernet adapter to see if the above command will fix it in that scenario also.

Seems like the mac app can’t handle network interface changes?

Hello,
sorry we missed this. I actually have that same dock. This doesn’t happen to me. Sometimes there’s a bit of a delay when it’s switching over.
What version of macOs and ZeroTier?

Here’s how to stop the service, by the way;
sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zerotier.one.plist
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zerotier.one.plist

killall zerotier-one will stop it temporarily then the service will restart it.

macOS Catalina 10.15.7. ZeroTier 1.6.6.

I did upgrade on all my devices when I first had this issue thinking it was because I was out of date, I think I was on 1.4.x at the time.

I tried using launchctl unload/load and it also fixes the issue. I also tried unplugging the adapter and restarting zerotier and that seems to work too without requiring an OS reboot.

Sometimes there’s a bit of a delay when it’s switching over.

I went on vacation for a week and it was broken the entire time. I thought it was a conflict with the hotel wifi or old versions but when it was still broken when I plugged back in at home that’s when I restarted and it worked again.

Thanks.

Is the mac firewall on? or is something like Little Snitch running?
How many devices did you attempt to connect to? If it’s just one, it could be worth it to investigate on that end.

Yes, the mac firewall is on, pretty sure it’s at default settings? I haven’t touched it. I don’t have any other network related apps like Little Snitch. It wasn’t just one other device, all ZeroTier traffic on my mac stopped, couldn’t talk to any other devices.

I actually have experienced this issue as well. Latest MacOS beta with the latest ZT (1.6.6). I wouldn’t say it happens often, but I do have to restart at times to get the tunnel to actually connect, even though the web interface shows my machine being online. Could pull logs or whatever is needed to assist ZT in finding out what could be going wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.