Zerotier throught android 14 hotspot

Hi we notice when we use a mobile phone in data sharing (hotspot) we can’t get more than 2mbs in bandswitch test between 2 peers through zerotier.

The weird part it’s when we use zero tier directly on the phone, access time and band switch is fine I can’t get 20 mbs easily when forcing the traffic through.

Our Setup where i get 2 mbs

Computer with Zerotier → Zflip5 Hotspot in 5G-> 4G/5G network of our provider → Zerotier Network → Mikrotik router with zerotier → Remote server

Those setups work fine (about 40mbs between peers) :

Zflip5 with zerotier → 4G/5G network of our provider → Zerotier Network → Mikrotik router with zerotier → Remote server

Computer with Zerotier → Zflip5 Hotspot connected to a wifi → FIBER network of our provider → Zerotier Network → Mikrotik router with zerotier → Remote server

I try to replace the mirotik zerotier part with a Debian 12 nat setup (https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/224395274/Route+between+ZeroTier+and+Physical+Networks) and get the same result (2mbs)

I tried also to pimp zerotier client, changing the port and mtu but don’t work either

A colleague has a S20 and get the same result and we get some customer complaints so I don’t think it’s related to the mobile.
Test are done with iperf3 in tcp mode. 3 time in a row

Does someone get the same issue?

Zerotier is UDP encapsulated; it’s not uncommon for providers to rate limit UDP traffic, which may be what’s happening. You can run UDP iPerf between the 2 devices across the internet (not through Zerotier) and see if drops happen when you set it to something like 3Mbps. If so, that should prove that you’re limited to 2Mbps of UDP traffic.

Hi, i understand but in this case i should be limited when using zerotier on the phone but that’s no the case. I give you more example with screen shoot soon as possible.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.