Cannot join a network anymore with an old zerotier-one client version

Hi,

I had an installation of ZeroTier-One v1.4.6 on a device, which has been working well for a long time.

However, if I delete the configuration folder (/var/lib/zerotier-one on my Raspbian system), but for the networks.d folder (containing the ID of the network I want to automatically join at start-up), and I regenerate the identity.secret file, ZeroTier-One will not be able to get ONLINE again:

• zerotier-cli info shows the node as OFFLINE
  • the node (with the new ID, as I regenerated the secret) does not show up at all in the ZeroTier Central dashboard
  • a packet sniffer shows UDP datagrams being sent from the node to the 4 “stable endpoints” of ZeroTier Inc., that is, the ones hardcoded in the source code (IP addresses 185.180.13.82, 207.246.73.245, 147.75.92.2, and 195.181.173.159), but no answers whatsoever coming in the other direction

If I update ZeroTier-One to version 1.8.4, the issue is resolved: the node goes ONLINE and it can be authorised from ZeroTier Central.

Please note:

• I tried to rollback to the old client (v1.4.6) and I can reproduce the issue
  • Moreover, a different device, running OpenWrt instead of Raspbian, behaves the same (OFFLINE with client v1.4.6, ONLINE with v1.8.4)
  • Another device which has been connected via ZeroTier-One 1.4.6 for a while has NOT stopped working, but in my understanding it does not talk to the central ZeroTier-One Inc. servers, but its planet is farther away from the root

Are the stable endpoints still serving requests from old ZeroTier-One clients?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Hello,
thank you for writing. This should be resolved now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.