QNAP - Failed to install ZeroTier. Downgrade QTS to 5.0.0 or an older compatible version

Well done all!
I will have a short window tomorrow to access my QNAP running QTS 5.0.1 and Zerotier 1.8.4 (formally working)

Is there a proven process with precise syntax (uppercase / lowercase etc.) that I can use OR i am better downgrading and trying with the community version 1.10.1

Not much time to hack my way through it so looking for that golden ticket.
Anyone seen the good guys from ZeroTier :wink:

Thanks again everyone for your efforts.

marqueMC

Hi -
boy - I bet everyone is getting tired of this thread ! And soon, Zerotier will release an “official release” so we don’t have to go thru all of this. Apparently, the Qnapclub.eu 1.10.1 release is written by a QNAP employee in France for Qnapclub, but I guess he did not put the effort in, that the guys on this community forum have (which I am very grateful for). I just installed my first REAL WORLD QNAP/Zerotier 1.10.1 about one hour ago - I told my client “just don’t upgrade your QNAP” and of course, he already had upgraded to QTS 5.0.1, so this was the perfect time to do a “clean test”. IF you follow my instructions from post 44 on this thread (from 2 days ago) - it will all work. With that said, I had NOT done mvonweis fix of the two incorrect lines in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg, and it still worked. I just checked on my test system, and sure enough, mvonweis is correct, and these to lines (in post 46 on this thread) are incorrect from the 0Tier1.sh*, so I just fixed them on my system. And I just rebooted my QNAP, and it’s all working perfectly.

You guys are great !
Bob Zelin

2 Likes

Hi all,

Just wanted to report that I upgraded to 5.0.1.2173 a moment ago and the QNAP popped up again on the zt network after rebooting. :sweat_smile:

I’m using the community ZeroTier 1.10.1 package with the abovementioned modifications to the 0Tier1.sh script.

Cheers,
–Martin

thank you for this confirmation Martin.
For those that get confused easily (like I do)
Martin has stated that he is using the qnapclub.eu community script of Zerotier 1.10.1, not the “official release” from Zerotier, and he has modified this, using all the command line stuff that you will find in this very long thread. You just don’t install it, load it into the QNAP App Center, and it just works (like you would hope !).

Thanks again for the confirmation.
Bob Zelin

I have not had a chance to play yet with the various hacks / workarounds as other fires to deal with at present and sadly colleagues (sorry to say) moved to another option but REALLY surprised no updated official release from the team yet.
Keeping the faith… keeping the faith

I have had installed ZeroTier on a previous QTS version. But now it won’t start anymore. Are these 2 separate topics or are those related? Also there’re people saying it doesn’t survive a reboot which sounds like it does start at least once. But for me it doesn’t start at all, anymore.

fyi: QNAP TS-253A (5.0.1.2173 build 20221001), released yesterday.

Have the same issue. Would really love to see the official ZeroTier package for QNAP to be updated so we can all start using this fabulous app again. Thanks!

A useful solution:
1:
docker run -d --name zerotier-one --device=/dev/net/tun --net=host --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --cap-add=SYS_ADMIN -v $HOME/docker/zerotier-one:/var/lib/zerotier-one --restart=always zyclonite/zerotier
2:
docker exec zerotier-one zerotier-cli join xxxxxxxxxxxx

1 Like

Really great community response here, guys. Sorry I haven’t been able to focus on this particular issue yet, I haven’t been ignoring it, just didn’t have time to put together a proper response/package yet. I’ll review the issues and the detective work done by some of you and try to get a new set of packages out soon. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Good day, everyone. Here’s some updated 1.10.1 packages. It would be extremely helpful if you report whether this works or not and include your device’s model number and firmware version. Thank you very much for your patience. We will be working on properly signing these and requesting inclusion in the QNAP AppCenter soon but for now they must be manually installed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://download.zerotier.com/dist/qnap/

2 Likes

Hello Joseph -
I would like to confirm that I have just installed Zerotier 1.10.1 on a QNAP running QTS 5.0.1 latest firmware (as of 10/13/2022) - and its working without all the insanity of the last 57 posts in this thread !
So have no fear - doing a straight install, like you used to do with Zerotier 1.8.4, works right away, without any of the extensive CLI commands (other than zerotier-cli join and your network ID).

I guess others will wait for Tailscale to clean up their mess !

EDIT: Email removed by other admin

Hi Joseph -
if you email me directly, I will give you the contacts at QNAP that you need to reach. I can’t post them here -

EDIT: Email removed by admin

Thanks @bobzelin, We’ll reach out if we run into any snags. Thanks so much for reporting back!

@zt-joseph I can confirm I was able to install and start zerotier:

• zerotier_1.10.1_x86_64.qpkg
  • TS-253A
  • QTS 5.0.1.2173

I installed it without deinstalling the previous version. It also joined the correct network, automatically.

Thank you so much!

I have:

• TS-251+
  • QTS 5.0.1.2173
    Seem to be working. I support a handful of these and will be updating them all.

@zt-joseph - It seems to be working with all of my x86_64 QNAPS but we have a TS-1232PXU-RP on 2173 with the ARM_64 version and I am getting an “authtoken.secret not found or readable in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/zerotier” error.

• TS-451
  • QTS 5.0.1.2194

Fresh install worked fine for me. Thanks

i used this way,and it worked,thanks!

I tried to join my NAS to the Zerotier network and it shows 200 join OK in ssh. But I can’t find my NAS device in the Zerotier Central. I am sure my network ID is correct and other devices can join the same network and be found.

• TS-262C
  • QTS 5.0…1.2194

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.