Synology DSM 6.2.4 255556 - latest update

Hi,
I have 4 different Synology NAS’s, ranging from a 413 to a 1621xs+, and so 4 different types of CPU. All had zerotier installed and working correctly under the last DSM (DSM6.2.4 25426 Update 3). They have all recently auto updated to DSM 255556 and they have all now stopped working.
The zerotier app on the DSM loads, but doesnt allow you to join a zerotier network, just ignores the Network ID when you click to ‘Join’.
Is zerotier aware of this? I can only expect that all synologys that update to this DSM will fail to work with zerotier…
thanks

I’m having the same issue.
Is there a fix?

Are we the only two to suffer this issue?
Interestingly, the issue seems to be with joining a ZeroTier network. If one is already established and live then the NAS continues to be connected to the network after the update, but it won’t allow a NAS that is not already connected to the network.
How do we get this bug reported to the ZeroTier support

I doubt we are the only ones…Given its affected all 4 of my NAS’s.
I agree with your observation. Where the zerotier app is already installed on the NAS and running prior to the latest DSM update then the connection remains, although the zerotier app window in DSM is blank and says ‘OFFLINE’.
My install on a new NAS with the latest DSM will not work.

This is the first time I’ve used this forum… I’m hoping ZeroTier support read these forums

Hi, I’m new here. I also have trouble to connect my Synology NAS 718+ with firmware upgrade to DSM 6.2.4-25556. I simply can’t Join (Join button doesn’t respond).

HI, I also checked DS218+ with firmware DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 6 and it doesn’t work. Any ideas?

I also checked the older version of zerotier-1.2.8r0-syn-apollolake-6.1 on Synology DS218 +. The application cannot be started after installation.

My solution to this was to run zerotier under docker. DSM seemed to be removing the routes automatically, but adding the routes back in manually with route add seems to fix it.

All in all zerotier on synology NAS is a very annoying prospect.

2 Likes

Since the update I experienced the same issue on DS1819+. The GUI of Zerotier shows nothing and status is off-line. After reinstall still empty and offline.

However, the command line does work. Via command line I was able to reconnect to network. Thus it seems the GUI is broken but not the functionality.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you connect to the network via the command line?

Sign to your NAS via SSH and use the following command:
zero-tier cli

In case you get the following error:
zerotier-cli: missing authentication token and authtoken.secret not found (or readable) in /var/lib/zerotier-one

In case of no error the help message is shown.

Set your privileges to root.

Following command show the status (eg online)
zerotier-cli info

Following command shows all connected networks
zerotier-cli listnetworks

To join a network use the following command:
zerotier-cli join

Hi, everyone.

I’m going to try to update the NAS packages later next month and it would be extremely helpful if you can each add your device’s model number and DSM version to a github issue here so I can ensure that I cover all of the cases. Alternatively you can post the info here but it is less convenient.

Please note that the the GUI on Synology has been deprecated for some time since their platform makes its usage unreliable. The recommended method for interacting with ZT on every NAS platform is via the CLI. You should read @eskimo1967’s advice on this matter. @traverse.da’s comment is also a good idea.

I’ll update this thread once I have something for you guys.

Hi - I’ve seen that Synology install has been updated. Does this update the issues here? Are there release notes?
thanks

Sorry - my mistake. It doesn’t look like the package has been updated. The time stamp has but not the version number.

Just had to use Sudo before each command. I ssh through Putty on windows to Synology.

run from CLI:
sudo chown <username_with_admin_privileges> -R /var/lib/zerotier-one

Sometime reboot is required.
Works for me on the latest synology 6.2

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

We have new instructions for getting ZeroTier to work on Synology’s latest DSM 7. Let me know if you have any trouble getting this to work.

I see the new docs for DSM 7, but can’t find the previous instructions that I’ve seen in some YouTube videos which applied to older versions. Is that doc still available? It included a link to another page that shows the different Synology NAS devices, their chip architectures, and the corresponding ZT builds. Am I just missing it, or is it no longer available? Thanks!