ZeroTier on Unifi Dream Machine

Hello Everybody,
i found a method to connect Unifi Dream Machines to ZeroTier Network.
i didn’t tested if it survive to a reboot or firmware upgrade but it works like a charm.
I discovered ZeroTier very recently and I am really amazed.

look at this method ; https://github.com/boostchicken-dev/udm-utilities/tree/bc54b90f7701a4ac62d7cc300f89407d0f7bbb83/zerotier-one

1 Like

That’s interesting, wonder if it would work on a Cloud Key Gen2+ as well. Does it just run as a client to give access to the UDM itself? Or can it work as an edge device routing the ZeroTier network to all clients on the LAN of the UDM?

i don’t know for cloudkey.
It works like a charm has edge device, routing between difference LANs

I can confirm that it survive to firmware upgrade,
i only have to restart it manually :

podman start zerotier-one

life is beautifull

@wellbein Could you not script the container to start using a crontab job or something?

hi,
i didn’t try.
if you do it, i m interested

If you install the ‘on-boot-script’ that is expected to be the first to be installed in unifi-os-utilities (which the gist uses), then it gets automatically restarted:

Could you elaborate on how this works in relation to routing? I have an existing configuration with UDMPs at my two houses and zeroTier linking the two using a pair of Pi4s. The Pi4’s act as gateways and each of the UDMPs has a static route to the remote network that specifies the Pi4 as the gateway.

I’m not clear on how I would configure the zeroTier component in unifios-utilities to behave in the same way. It would appear to be a matter of routes, but not clear where they need to be configured. Something like the UDMP zeroTier address for the remote UDMP?

1 Like