Windows Ethernet Bridging

I may be the only one here to use this but if anyone is interested in a quick how-to on how to bridge a Zerotier NIC to a physical NIC for a VPN solution on awindows machine(with VLAN support on the edge devices!!, I use this for bridging two building together with a guest network) . I use it at my current place of work. I have about 45 odd devices all attached via zerotier so everyone can use active directory and our local resources on and off campus with any user intervention. I’m not linux versed so using windows was my only way.

Ive been using it for 6 months and its been rock solid! Thank you guys for this awesome piece of software.

4 Likes

I’d say, post the steps whether you get replies or not. All published info and setups are invaluable.

2 Likes

Yes, please. I definitely could use this.
thank you.

Hey @HorizonsCT! Since it seems you’ve figured out how to make bridging on windows work, we’d absolutely love it if you wrote up a post for the Tips and Guides section of the forum here. Everything in there is subject to moderator approval, but if you write something up on this topic we’ll make sure it gets up in there! It’s a pretty common question.

Did not realize bridging would be an issue. All my sites are brushed. Can access all resources from 13 different locations on the same network. I’ve bridged the router, so the endpoints do not require the windows installation. All sites can communicate via local ip :slight_smile:

Hey @HorizonsCT, I’m also using Windows and trying to achieve the same thing. Did you ever manage to get those steps published? Cheers

I finally found a way to do this ! phew…

So did anybody ever find out how to do this ??
it’s bloody infuriating that when you try to enable bridging from the options menu it says further configuration will be necessary and to please look at the guys but then you can’t find anything in relation to the guide on Windows 10 !!! …

Any guides on how to enable this and get it working on Windows 10 ??

I’d love to know how to do this too.

@HorizonsCT any chance to document your setup to share with us other Windows users? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I was able to route between ZeroTier and my physical network using a Windows box as a bridge by following the KB article here:

https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/224395274/Route+between+ZeroTier+and+Physical+Networks

Then for the “IP Forwarding” section (which only has Linux instructions) I did the Windows equivalent on my “router” machine, which is:

• Run regedit.exe
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
  • Change the entry IPEnableRouter REG_DWORD to 1
  • Reboot

At this point I was able to reach the physical LAN interface of the Windows “router” machine over ZeroTier. However, because this machine is not the default gateway for my LAN, I had to add a static route to each device on the LAN that I wanted to reach. Using the example networks from the KB article above, the route would look something like this:

route -p ADD 172.27.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0 172.27.0.1

This enables traffic from the LAN devices to the ZeroTier network, and the reverse route was already added in the KB article (in ZT Managed Routes) so everything works! You could push this route out using DHCP option 121, but we only needed access to a few specific devices on the LAN so the manually added persistent route was fine.

1 Like

Revisiting this because I messed up the static route, it should be:

route -p ADD 172.27.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0 192.168.100.2

Where 192.168.100.2 is the LAN IP of my Windows “router”.

This is amazing @jtm. Finally I’ve got this working!! That static route is vital because of the default gateway on each of the devices. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @jtm

I’ve followed your instructions and it’s been very helpful, however I’ve problems reaching devices on my Windows “router” (which is a PC with ZeroTier installed on) physical LAN port.
I can ping the Windows “router” LAN port IP-address from the remote PC through ZeroTier after following your instructions.
My Windows “router” IP-address are 192.168.10.11, the device I would like to reach have IP-address 192.168.10.10.
I’m doing this right if I write “route -p ADD 192.168.10.10 MASK 255.255.0.0 192.168.192.11” in command prompt?
I’m a newbie when it comes to these kind of network setup so I’m a bit lost here…

Thanks in advanced!

Hi @upInTheNorth

Sounds like you’re nearly there! I probably didn’t explain this very well, but the route you need to add manually to LAN devices (192.168.10.10 in your case) is actually the route from the physical LAN to the ZeroTier network. Although you’re trying to reach 192.168.10.10 from the ZeroTier network, at this level the return route is required for a connection to be established in either direction.

If you let me know your ZeroTier network range I can give you the exact command you need to run on 192.168.10.10, but assuming ZT is 172.27.0.0/16, you would run:

route -p ADD 172.27.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0 192.168.10.11

If the 192.168.10.10 device is not a Windows box, then you might need to work out how to add a static route to it and translate the above into whatever command line/GUI you use to administer it.

Hope this helps!

Hi @jtm,

I’ve tried your suggestion but still not able to reach the 192.168.10.10 device, I’m also connected with TeamViewer to the remote PC and I can ping the device from so it does exist.
I’ve attached a drawing showing how my setup looks like so we are at the same page.

Setup

Thanks for your time!

Hi @upInTheNorth

Thanks for the diagram :slight_smile: So the route needs to be added to the “Device” on 192.168.10.10 and the Windows command to create it would be:

route -p ADD 192.168.194.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.10.11

However, I’m assuming “Device” isn’t a Windows box, so you will need to work out how to add a static route to it. For example, one of the devices I needed to access was a QNAP NAS, so I had to add the route through the QNAP QTS admin page:

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/qts/5.0.x/en-us/configuring-static-route-settings-9C1E40DB.html

Hi @jtm,

Yes you are correct, the “Device” is not a Windows device so that is my problem.
Then I have to figure out how to setup a static IP route on my device.
I’ve used Hamachi in the past and in this software you could on the remote PC, bridge the Hamachi virtual NIC to the LAN NIC, when doing this you were able to reach all the devices on the LAN NIC without doing anything else.
There is not some similar alternatives to this in the ZeroTier setup?

Thanks

I think the Hamachi client must do some sort of NAT, as with the instructions in the KB above which use iptables on Linux to NAT traffic as it passes through the “router” machine. On Windows we don’t have the same functionality unless we install the Routing and Remote Access role which is only available for Windows Server OS (if you were running Windows Server on the 192.168.10.11 box then installing RRAS would be a good solution).

Another option is to use DHCP to distribute the route to clients on the LAN - this will only work if the 192.168.10.10 device obtains its IP from DHCP, and you’ll need a DHCP server capable of configuring option 121. Is that an option for you?

I thought I got this to work, then it stopped working…will the “router” machine have issues if I assign multiple routes on this one machine or was I supposed to keep it at one?

EDIT: Decided I messed up and redid the whole thing…would I need to remove whatever the previous route was or leave it alone?